What comes to your mind when you hear about spam? You all must have heard or even experienced with spamming on your media account, especially your email. If you go to your “Gmail” account then go to the label called “Spam”, you will see all the junks mails that had been sent to you everyday in every hour.
In this blog, I would like to build some knowledge of the dark side on the Internet, Spamming and to spread more awareness of how to avoid it and to prevent your software from it.
What is Spam?
Spam is a form of unwanted commercial advertising, unsolicited digital communication often an email that gets sent out in bulk, as it is a very cost-effective medium for the sender.
How does Spam works ?
More than 95% of email messages sent worldwide is considered as spam. As a result, spam fighting tools have becomingly important to all users of email.
This is how Spam works. Technically, Spam have never been sent directly from advertising company itself. It is usually sent by a company in the business of unsolicited email distribution, which we called a “spammer”. Advertiser makes an agreement with a spammer, who creates email advertisements to a group of unsuspecting recipients. Spam cost is far less than postal bulk mailings, which with $100 an advertiser could spam up to 10,000 recipients compare to a postal mailing for several thousand dollars.
How do Spammers find you?
Spammers can sometimes find you by buying your address. They obtain details by using software programs called “harvesters” which collect names from websites, newsgroups, or other services which users have put their email address when filling up the privacy data.
How to avoid spam?
As you know how spammers work, here is how to avoid from spam:
- Cybersecurity must install. In case when you click a bad link or download malware sent to you via spam, good cybersecurity software will recognize it and shut it down before it can do any damage to your system or network.
- Do not respond to spam: If you are responding to spam you will demonstrate to spammers that your email is valid and many more spam will be sent to you. Also, to a mobile phone spam. Just hang up and add the caller to your smartphone’s blocked numbers list.
- Always check the sender because spam get sent from falsified email addresses to the real sender,
- Always examine the message header. For example, If the address looks like this format -email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, this is a fake and unreal mail.
- Be careful with autoreplies, as they can verify your email address to spammers.
- Firewall software is a must use for your computer. It can stop attacking from people attempting to compromise your system and possibly use it to send spam.
- Use different username on several domains — it makes work less easier for spammers to find you on other services.
- Do not use the same email address too much. Use vary email address a much a you can.
- Do not click on the link or make a purchase from spam messages you receive.
Using the Internet could be easy, however protecting your software from spamming is not that easy. With more than one type of the existence of spam, you should always be careful when using your Gmail account and the rest of your media account with the given hints above.
What is your tip to identify spam? Let’s leave your comment below.